2 replies to this topic

#1 chilledminx

chilledminx

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 02:11 PM

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the forum, and would be pleased if anyone can advise me.

I read listed in the LDN Research literature that Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD) is one of the illnesses where symptoms can be improved by treating with LDN. I would be very pleased to have advice from anyone here who has COPD and has had success using LDN. Could you say specifically which symptoms were helped ?

One of my worse COPD symptoms is painful muscle spasms in my legs, feet, and jaw. Also severe muscle tightness in my diaphragm and chest which badly interferes with my breathing, and has required emergency treatment at hospital on several occasions.

I have read one of the side effects of LDN can be muscle pain/muscle spasms, which kind of deters me from trying it as I could not tolerate getting worse muscle pain than I already have.
Particularly if muscle spasms were to adversely affect my breathing as the risk is too dangerous.

Many thanks for any info, comments or experience.

#2 Derek

Derek

Forum Moderator

• PipPipPip
  • 439 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 09:34 PM

If you use the search facility there are a few brief references to COPD, although nothing that goes into much detail. Of course, I can’t speak for your specific condition, but in general, introductory symptoms can be greatly minimised by starting on a very low dose (0.5 or 1ml) and increasing slowly, as your body gets used to the drug. Unfortunately, it is impossible to predict who will get side effects (and not everyone does) and the only way to find out is to actually take the drug.
However, from what you say this approach is clearly not risk free and I hope you manage to get some reassuring anecdotes.

I took this rather old report from www.lowdosenaltrexone.org and suspect you have seen it before, but thought I would include it just in case.

As of January 2004:
Pulmonary Emphysema. Dr. Bihari reports that he now has four patients in whom the inexorable downward course of pulmonary emphysema/chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) has been arrested through the use of LDN treatment. The central problem in the usual progression of COPD is almost always repeated respiratory infections. Of Bihari's patients, whose average length of LDN use has been two-and-one-half years, three have been entirely free of respiratory infections and the fourth, who is HIV positive, has had far fewer such events. As a result, their clinical conditions during this time have remained essentially stable. This highlights the potency of LDN in being able to act as a primary preventive therapy against respiratory infections in general. Many people who use LDN for a variety of reasons note a sharp decrease in their usual experience of common colds, generalized viral infections, or sinusitis.

#3 chilledminx

chilledminx

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 June 2011 - 04:31 PM

Hi Derek,

Thank you for your reply; sorry I only just read it.

I am probably quite lucky as I rarely get colds or respiratory infections. This may be because I do not take steroids, (unable to tolerate them), whereas they are prescribed as standard treatment for most people with COPD or asthma, (the downside being it makes them more prone to infections).

Before considering taking LDN I would like to read more information/evidence, (anecdotal would be fine), of how LDN benefitted people with COPD/emphysema, other than reducing infections.
At the moment my top priority is to find something that will help control the severe diaphragm muscle spasms I am getting frequently, which make it so hard for me to breathe normally, and I do not think LDN is the answer for that.....from what I can gather.

I will do a search as you suggest and see what comes up.
Many thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users